An embedded third-party software component (Protexis) that facilitates licensing services was discontinued by the manufacturer at the end of 2018. As of January 1st, 2019, the impact of this is twofold:
- Any steps in the below article relating to the Protexis service e.g. uninstalling/reinstalling or any action that would cause the software to re-register WILL PREVENT THE ACT! SOFTWARE FROM RUNNING.
- Depending on what version of Act! you are running, there will be necessary steps that need to be taken to ensure uninterrupted access. Read the full statement here.
In order to perform these steps, please see the Knowledgebase article below for links to your version of Act!:
Act! Licensing Software Update
Answer ID 39192
This error can be caused by a damaged Verdana bold font. To determine if this is the cause, check the ACT! Log Viewer for the following error message:
Error Exception: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. —> System.ArgumentException: Font ‘Verdana’ does not support style ‘Bold’.
To Check the ACT! Log Viewer
- Open a Windows® Explorer screen and browse to the location:
- 32-bit operating system: C:\Program Files\ACT\Act for Windows
- 64-bit operating system: C:\Program Files(x86)\ACT\Act for Windows
- Locate the file Logviewer.exe and double click on it to open the ACT! Log Viewer screen.
If the error is listed in the ACT! Log Viewer you will need to replace the Verdana font.
To Replace the Verdana Font
- Open the Windows Control Panel, select Fonts, and delete the existing Verdana.tff font.
Attached is an installation file for the
- Click on the attachment and save it to your computer.
- Double click on the saved file and follow the installation prompts.
Missing Psiclient.dll File
This issue can also be caused by a missing Psiclient.dll file. Use these steps to determine if this is the cause and resolve it.
- Using Windows® Explorer (the My Computer or Computer icon), browse to the following location:
- 32bit operating system: C:\Program Files\ACT\Act for Windows
- 64bit operating system: C:\Program Files (x86)\ACT\Act for Windows
- Determine if the following file is present:
- If the file is present, this is not the issue.
- If the file is not present, it can be copied from the installation media and pasted into this folder.
- Browsing the installation media (disc or download), the file will be located in the path: …\ACTWG\program files\ACT\ActInstallDir.
- Right click on the file and select Copy. Then browse to the folder you went to in step 1 of this section, right click in the folder and select Paste.
- Reboot the computer and launch ACT!.
User Account Control (Windows Vista®, Windows® 7)
This issue may also be caused by the User Account Control (UAC) function in Windows Vista and Windows 7 operating systems. You may be able to resolve this issue by disabling UAC (this will require a reboot of your machine). Please see instructions for disabling UAC for your operating system in one of the following Knowledgebase articles:
How to Disable User Account Control (UAC) in Windows Vista®
Answer ID: 20220
How to Change or Disable User Account Control (UAC) in Windows® 7 & Windows Server® 2008
Answer ID: 25665
If you would like to discuss the content of this article with other Sage ACT! users, please visit the Sage ACT! Online Community. The Community is moderated by Sage and provides the opportunity to give and receive feedback from other Sage ACT! users. To find posts on a specific topic, you can use the Community’s built-in search feature.
PLEASE NOTE: If you are still experiencing problems relating to Protexis after going through this article, we would strongly recommend upgrading your Act! software to the latest version as the version you are currently using is now obsolete:
Please visit act.com to see all of the new features that Act! now has available.